Friday, January 11, 2013

Pre-Cos Jitters

Hello Blog World! I decided to take my cosmetology journey on the road (well, on the world wide web) and share all the tips, tricks, and trade secrets with everyone. So, beauties, buckle your seat belts and take this ride with me through the world of hair, nails, and makeup!

 I wanted to start this blog explaining how I got to this point in my life.
After graduating high school in 2010, I did what everyone had expected me to do, I went to a 4 year university. Entering into college with my major being Psychology I was stoked. I couldn't wait to start this new chapter in my life. I had all these dreams and visions of me owning my own practice and diving deeply into the minds of very disturbed individuals. I have always enjoyed working with people and psychology was such a fascinating subject to me. So, first semester I took Psych 101 and that quickly let me know that this was definitely not the field of study that I belonged too. I stayed in that class and finished up the semester but as soon as it was over I found myself in my advisers office switching majors. 

After much thought and consideration I declared Early Childhood Education as my major. I had my introduction to Education the 2nd semester of freshman year and loved it. I got to spend a day in the classroom with a class of kindergartners and I was very pleased with the direction my schooling was going. I loved seeing their bright, eager faces sitting at their tiny desks. I helped tied shoes, read stories, and played games with them. I very much enjoyed being with the children. But as time went by and class continued, I grew very bored of the curriculum. I decided to stick it out thinking it was just the first class and I just wasn't stimulated enough. (Plus, my professor was a complete nut - in the best way possible) So i finished up that semester pretty well, still trudging along all of my core classes.

The third semester is where my whole outlook of my future changed. I had 2 more education courses mixed in with core classes. My education classes where my most hated classes. I enjoyed going to creative writing and exercise-sports science so much more than I did my education classes. I knew something was off. I had great, well educated professors but all of the curriculum left me bored, frustrated, annoyed, and perturbed. I knew I didn't belong in this major and that what it all boiled down to was that I really just liked children. I knew my intentions coming into this major was all wrong. I didn't really want to grade papers all evening, spend countless hours in the halls of elementary schools, deal with crazy parents, or anything that would actually qualify me as a teacher. What I really wanted to do was play with 5 year olds - the total wrong intentions. 

Knowing education wasn't where I belong I had to make the biggest decision of my life. So I took the last month or so of my final (3rd) semester of college prioritizing my passions. I made lists, took quizzes, and talked to many people to help me decide where I wanted to be in 5, 10, or 20 years. That's when I decided my main passions fit everything that cosmetology was. I finished up the third semester of school and made a huge decision to drop out and follow my true passions at a technical college. Of course, my mom was furious to begin with but slowly came around and accepted and supported my decision. I searched for schools and did some research. I worked for a year at an insurance agency, a job provided by such good, Godly people. Obtaining a job was my biggest priority right after school because I knew I had some time before I would be back in the classroom. I was so thankful and blessed to be provided with the job that I was.

After a year of no classes and living in the working world, I found a school that fit my needs. My very first class is Wednesday, January 16th, 2013! I couldn't be more excited to start classes Wednesday. I'm both nervous and ecstatic about learning all there is to know to help me succeed in this industry. There is so much I do not know about having a successful, self-sufficient career and I can't wait to start!


No comments:

Post a Comment